Why Computer Science Grads Need to Start Small to Make it Big

Companies like Dropbox, Airbnb and Uber will soon catch up with the major players, so graduates should take the risk and aim for the big money of the future.

80% of Computer Science majors from a top US tech school are going to just five big companies, experts say.

Computer Science graduates have aspired to work for Silicon Valley tech giants since Google first entered the scene back in 1999, but are these firms still a good choice?

With more openings than smaller startups, attractive compensation packages, and room for advancement, Google, Microsoft, Amazon, and other big names have plenty to offer, but the big bucks will come from joining their modern-day equivalents.

Experts say that aspiring young programmers need to start small to make it big, as companies like Dropbox, Airbnb and Uber will soon catch up with the major players. In the end, graduates have a choice: take a 90% chance of earning $1.1 million at big tech firms, or a 10% chance of earning $10 million at a smaller startup.

Sign up for our Nearshore Americas newsletter:

 

 

Tags

JOIN THE CONVERSATION

JOIN THE CONVERSATION